History

Recipient of:


2013 Heritage Prize
National Capital and Chaudière-Appalaches Region
Category: Conservation and Preservation of the St-Paul de Cumberland Church 1847

Cumberland Mills is a fief (part of 2 seigneuries) constituted on September 27, 1782 (P. Angers).

Townships first appeared in the Constitution Act of 1791 (British immigration) in Lower Canada, today known as Quebec.

Around 1820-1830 a group of British immigrants (English, Irish and Scottish) set up a community in the fief of Cumberland.

In 1819 Edward Harbottle became the owner of the fief of Cumberland and together with members of his family from Wood Horn (England) and a number of colonists, he cleared the land of the fief.  He stayed in his wood home built at the far west end of the fief along the banks of the Chaudière River.

In 1840 Mr. Harbottle built a second home at the far east end of the fief, a magnificent stone manor (Harbottle Manor) located on Taylor Road, followed by a wood and flour mill built along Cumberland Creek.

In 1847 Mr. Harbottle had a stone church built in the fief (St-Paul de Cumberland Mills Anglican Church).

In 1857, Mr. Harbottle passed away childless and together with his wife was buried under St-Paul church.

1867, Edward Harbottle Taylor (his nephew) became the heir and successor of the fief of Cumberland.

1905, death of Edward H. Taylor, who bequeathed the Taylor estate to his brother Thomas-John Taylor.

1917, Thomas-John Taylor built Taylor Manor.  This magnificent yellow-brick Manor includes 7 bedrooms and was occupied by the Taylor family until the departure of Miss Eva and Dorothy Taylor in 1975.


Follow Us on Facebook:


Saint-Paul-de-Cumberland Mills Church /
Harbottle Garden:

536, route Taylor, Saint-Simon-les-Mines (Quebec)
Telephone: 418 774-2983



Saint-Paul-de-Cumberland Church © - All rights reserved  / Powered by CreaWEB - iClic.com